Ronnie Murray, head pastry chef for Hix Restaurants says: “Seafood needn’t be reserved for prawn cocktails at Christmas. Scallops are an indulgent festive canapé that your guests will love”.
12 scallops with half shells
2 large, floury potatoes
150g blue cheese (we used Castello Danish Blue)
100g bacon lardons
small bunch of chives
- Check the scallops are all intact and lightly season before putting to one side.
- Peel the potatoes and boil in a pan until soft and fry the bacon lardons until crispy in a dry pan, then lay on a piece of kitchen roll and set aside.
- Mash the potatoes in the pan with a splash of milk and the cheese over a low heat until creamy.
- Chop the chives and mix with breadcrumbs. Then, in the pan used for the bacon, lightly toast the mixture until golden.
- Spoon the mash and bacon into the scallop shells. Place a scallop on the bed of mash, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and grill under a moderate heat for 5 minutes. Serve hot with mini forks.