Shellfish – your friends for life!
1 Shellfish provide proteins, vitamins and minerals, are low in fat and a wonderful source of the Omega-3 fatty acid.
2 Contrary to the old wife’s tale, eating shellfish does not raise blood cholesterol.
3 Shellfish are low in calories, which is perfect for weight loss!
4 Different shellfish have different health benefits so, to make the most of these, we should vary the types we eat. With over thirty UK species available to us, there’s no excuse not to try something new – good news for our taste buds and our health!
Why are these important?
• Proteins are essential components of muscles, skin, bones and the body as a whole.
• Vitamin B12 is important for the normal functioning of the brain and nervous system and plays a key role in the formation of red blood cells.
• Selenium plays a key role in the human body’s antioxidant defence system, preventing damage to cells and tissues.
• Phosphorous helps to build strong bones and teeth, and to release the energy from the food we eat.
• Zinc is important in the making of new cells and enzymes, and help process the carbohydrate, fat and protein in the food we eat and assists with the healing of wounds.